To work together to increase public awareness and acceptance of Down syndrome, while supporting and enhancing the lives of our children.
• To provide support and information to families with a Down syndrome member.
• To promote increased knowledge and understanding of Down syndrome to the community.
• To assist in accessing services for families in need.
What We Do:
• Discussions and information regarding health issues, services, parenting skills and acceptance
• Quarterly newsletters
• New parent packages at all Simcoe County hospitals
• Celebrate milestones together
• Offer access to lending library on books and videos
• Annual parties and events
• Offer and/or subsidize programs which enhance life skills, such as music, sign language, speech, yoga, dance, drama, occupational therapy, physio therapy.
Current Executive Members:
The DSASC has a group of dedicated individuals who help to make our events and programs a success. The executive meets approximately 8-10 times/year. Some executive members may take on the roles of President, treasurer, secretary, and DSAO rep. Positions are nominated and have a 2 year service.
Jen St-Onge Secretary, DSAO Rep
Kristin O'Leary Treasurer
Hope Groombridge Wee Ups and Downs Coordinator
Ashley Cordua Board Member
Ashley White Board Member
Amanda Burton Board Member
Heather Liang Board Member
Jody Cele Board Member
Jason Helmond Peer representative
Jennifer van Gennip Executive Director
SEAC Representative for Simcoe County District School Board - Mark Bryan
SEAC Representative for Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board - Stephanie Saunders
The DSASC operates under updated by-laws approved and adopted at our general meeting, April 2016. Read the full by-law document here: DSASC BY-LAWS Amended April 2016.